Cierva Point (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Cierva Point (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Feature type: Point
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
S entrance point of Cierva Cove (q.v.), Danco Coast, was called in error by SwAE Kap W. Spring (Spring Point, q.v.) (Nordenskj"ld and others,1904b, Vol. 2, p.116). Cape W. Spring (Nordenskj"ld and others, 1905, p.403). Isla Guardián Gutiérrez, referring to part of the point incorrectly charted as an island, after Aguedo Gutiérrez Z., a boatswain on CAE, 1947 (Chile. DNH chart LI, 1947)."Refugio Primavera"[=spring refuge] was established on the point by AAE, 23 January 1954 (Thomas, 1956a, p.167). Cabo Primavera (Argentina. MM chart A-2-A, 1954). Cabo Spring (Argentina. MM chart OO(b), 1954). Spring Cape (Di Lena, 1956, p.103). "Refugio Cobbett", referring to the Argentine refuge renamed after Capt. de la Marina Enrique Cobbett, Argentine marine who fought with Almte G. Brown (Coughtrey Peninsula, q.v.) in the war against Brazil and who lost his life in the wreck of the frigate Buenos Aires off Cape Horn, August 1826 (Argentina. MM, 1957a, p.100; Pierrou, 1970, p.252)."Primavera", referring to the Argentine refuge (USHO, 1961, p.146). Tisné Point, after Capt. (N) Fernando Tisné B., commanding CAE, 1952 (USHO, 1961, p.146). Cabo Tisné (Chile. DNH chart 1501, 1962; IHA, 1974, p.277). "Kobbett", "Cobbett", referring to Argentine refuge (Soviet Union. AA, 1966, Pl. 24; GUGK map 221, 1973). Islote Gutiérres, Islote Gutiérrez, as rejected names (Chile. IHA, 1974, p.146). AAE, 1976-77, established a new "Base Primavera" on the point which was officially opened on 8 March 1977 (Argentina. News release, 4 April 1977). Cierva Point, in association with the cove (APC, 1980, p.3) "Base (De Ejercito) Primavera" (BAS sheet Misc. 2, 1981). The point and nearby islands were designated SSSI No.15 under the Antarctic Treaty (SPRI, 1986, p.235), redesignated as ASPA No. 134 in 2002. ( BA chart 3560, 9.ix.1988)
No images of this place could be found.