Graham Land (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Graham Land (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail email@example.com
Feature type: Land
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
the part of the Antarctic Peninsula N of a line from Cape Jeremy (junction of Fallières and Rymill coasts) to Cape Agassiz (junction of Bowman and Wilkins coasts), between c. 63°15' and 69°15'.S First sighted by Bransfield, January 1820. Later on that year Palmer sighted the N coast of Trinity Peninsula and it was named Palmer's Land (USA, 1820). In 1832 the W coast (now Graham Coast) was named Graham's Land after Sir James Robert George Graham (1792-1861), English statesman; the name was later applied to the whole peninsula (GER, 1872), (GBR, 1908), (USA, 1894); Graham Land (referring to the whole peninsula) GBR, 1917; (with S limit undefined, APC, 1953). Graham Land was provisionally defined as the peninsula extending S-ward from Prime Head to a line joining Bowman Peninsula and the mainland coast in c. 73°25'S 72°00'W (on English Coast), S of Eklund Islands (APC, 1961) later redefined with its current S limit (APC, 1964). For further information see British Antarctic Territory Gazetteer.
No images of this place could be found.