Harmony Cove (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Harmony Cove (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Feature type: Cove
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
between Harmony Point and The Toe, Nelson Island, was roughly charted by the nineteenth-century sealers and named after the Nantucket sealing ship Harmony (Capt. N. Ray, Ray Promontory, q.v.), which was based there in the 1820-21 season (Sherratt, 1821, map facing col. 1215-16; Powell, chart, 1822a; BA chart 3205, 1.vi.1901; 25.iii.1937; APC, 1955, p.11; Stackpole, 1955, p.41). Collom's Harbour, possibly referring to this feature (Pendleton, 1821-23, 18 December 1821). Ance Harmony (Powell, 1824a, map facing p.5). Harmony Bucht (Weddell, 1827, third end map). Havre Harmony (Charcot, 1912, Pl.1). Harmony B. (HA chart, 1928). The cove was recharted by DI in 1934-35, when astronomical observations were made there. Harmony Bay (Nelson, 1935; Frödin, 1951, p.373). Anse Harmony Cove (France. SHM, 1937, p.394). Caleta Armonía (Chile. DNH chart L, 1947; Pierrou, 1970, p.172; Chile. IHA, 1974, p.32). Caleta Harmony (Argentina. MM chart 104, 1949). An Argentine refuge station for seasonal occupation was established on the W side of the cove, 15 December 1953, and called "Gurruchaga" after the Argentine patriot Francisco de Gurruchaga (1766-1846), who created the first Argentine naval squadron (Thomas, 1956a, p.167). "Refugio Francisco de Gurruchaga" (Argentine. MM, 1957a, p.54; Pierrou, 1970, p.375). The Brazilian refuge "Astronomo Cruls" was established on the cove in January 1985.
No images of this place could be found.