Inca Point (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Inca Point (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Feature type: Point
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
NW side of Harmony Cove (q.v.), Nelson Island. The Argentine refuge "Gurruchaga" was established N of the point, 15 December 1953. The AAE at the time recognized two distinctive rocks in the vicinity, which were called descriptively La Esfinge [=the sphinx] (on the present point) and El Inca (near the minor point to the NE), from its resemblance to an Inca head (Olsacher, 1958, map p.7). But these names were reversely and incorrectly applied in the forms Punta Inca (Argentina. MM chart 137, 1957; Pierrou, 1970, p. 437) and Punta Esfinge (Argentina. MM chart 137; Pierrou, 1970, p.344). Piedra del Inca, referring to the point to NE (Olsacher, 1958, p.10). Inca Point, referring to the present feature (APC, 1980, p.4).
No images of this place could be found.