Jason Peninsula (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Jason Peninsula (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Feature type: Peninsula
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
NE of Adie Inlet, Oscar II Coast, projecting into Larsen Ice Shelf and terminating in Cape Framnes, was roughly charted from seaward as part of the mainland by Larsen, 1 December 1893, and named Mount Jason after his ship Jason, used on his visits to Graham Land on NWE, 1892-93 and 1893-94, built by Framnµs Mek. Vµrksted and owned by the Norwegian company Oceana Ltd, of Sandefjord, Norway (Larsen, 1894b, map facing p.333; BA chart 1238, iii.1901). Larsen considered that the S part of the peninsula was an island (Veier Head, q.v.). Berg Jason or Jason-Berg (Schück, 1894, p.139). Jason Mountain (RSGS, 1894, p.491). The feature was sighted from Borchgrevink Nunatak on the landward side by SwAE in October 1902, when it was reported to be separated from the mainland by Philippi Rise (q.v.). Jason Land (Nordenskjöld and others, 1904b, Vol. 2, first end map; [referring to an undefined part of the E coast of Graham Land in c. 66°S] AGS, 1905, map facing p.702; [separated from the mainland and lying near the edge of the ice shelf] Nordenskjöld and others, 1905, map facing p.316; [with indication of a barrier between the feature and the mainland] Nordenskjöld, 1917, map facing p.68). Terre Jason (Nordenskjöld and others, 1904c, map p.72-73). Jasons Land (Nordenskjöld and others, 1904a, Del. 1, end map). Jonasberg [sic] (Nordenskjöld and others, 1904b, Vol. 1, p.242). Tierra de Jason (Nordenskjöld and others, 1904-05, Tomo 1, end map). Jasonberget (Nordenskjöld and others, 1905, p.61). Monte Jason (Sobral, , p.127). Terre de Jason, Mont Jason (Gourdon, 1908, p.3, 52). Tierra Jason (Rio Patron S., 1908, end map). Jason L. (Nordenskjöld, 1911b, Karte 1). Jason Landet (Palander, 1914, p.18). Jasonfjellet (Risting, 1929, map p.33). Jason Island (BA chart 3175, 7.vii.1933; [in 66°10'S 61°20'W] APC, 1955, p.12; DOS 601 sheet 66 60, 1955). Jason Ö (Hansen, atlas, 1936, chart 1). Isla Jason (Argentina. IGM map, 1946; Pierrou, 1970, p.445). Isla Jackson [sic] (Vila Labra, 1947, map p.203). Jason Öya (Hansen, chart [no number], 1947). The feature was roughly surveyed on the W side by FIDS from "Hope Bay" in December 1947, but the E side was not seen and the exact nature of the feature could not be determined. Isla General Baquedano, after Gen. Manuel Baquedano (1826-97), who commanded the Chilean army in the war against Peru, 1879-82 (Orrego Vicuña, 1948, p.202 and end map). The feature was circumnavigated and surveyed by FIDS from "Hope Bay" in May-June 1953, but the area of Philippi Rise was not examined in detail. It was accepted from the previous survey that this area was marked by a channel filled with ice shelf, thus making the feature an island. Ostrov Yason (Baranov and others, 1954, map p.283). Further survey by FIDS from "Hope Bay" in September 1955 showed a continuous neck of ice-covered land extending E from Philippi Rise. IÎle Jason (France. SHM chart 5879, 1956). Jasonön (Frödin, 1956, end map). Jason Peninsula (NGS map, 1957b; [co-ordinates corrected] APC, 1958, p.5; BA chart 3570, 29.ix.1961; DOS 813 British Antarctic Territory sheet, 1963). Jansenv [sic] Ostrov (Bártl, 1958, map facing p.144). Península Jason (Argentina. MM chart 121, 1958; Chile. IHA, 1974, p.164). Poluostrov Yason (Nudel'man, 1960, loose map). Jason Halvøy (Soviet Union. GUGK map 221, 1973). "Refugio Arcondo", or "Mayor Arcondo", was established by AAE in 66°09'S 61°09'W, between Stratton Inlet and Standring Inlet, and so called after Mayor P. Arcondo, of the Argentine Army (Arcondo Nunatak, q.v.) (Argentina. MD, 1978, letter A). [Jason Harbour, Jason Island and Jason Peak, South Georgia, are also named after the NWE ship (Hattersley-Smith, 1980b, p.50).]
No images of this place could be found.