Neko Harbour (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Neko Harbour (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail email@example.com
Feature type: Harbour
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
NE side of Andvord Bay, Danco Coast, was roughly charted by BeAE, 12 February 1898 (Lecointe, 1903, Carte 5); used as an anchorage by Chr. Salvesen's factory ship Neko (Capt. Sinclair) from Leith, Scotland, in most seasons from 1911-12 to 1915-16, and from 1918-19 to 1923-24 (the ship was lost in July 1924); further charted by Ferguson in 1913 and named after the factory ship (Ferguson, 1921, p.47; APC, 1955, p.15; BA chart 3213, 23.iii.1956; BAS 250 sheet SQ 19-20/4, 1-DOS 1974). Neko Harbor (USHO, 1943, p.124; USBGN, 1956, p.222). An Argentine refuge hut was established on the SE point of the harbour, probably by the tugboat Chiriguano, 9 March 1949 (Thomas, 1954, p.159), and named "Capitán Fliess" after Capt. (later Almte) F. Fliess (Fliess Bay, q.v.); the hut was destroyed in 1951 but rebuilt in January 1952 for occasional occupation. Puerto Neko (Argentina. MM chart 106, 1949; Pierrou, 1970, p.543; Chile. IHA, 1974, p.209). "Refugio Fliess" (Argentina. MM, 1957b, p.107; Pierrou, 1970, p.365). The harbour was photographed from the air by FIDASE, 1956-57.
No images of this place could be found.