Palmer Archipelago (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Palmer Archipelago (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Feature type: Archipelago
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
group of islands extending from Tower Island in the NE to Anvers Island in the SW, separated from Graham Land by Orléans Strait and Gerlache Strait, and from Wilhelm Archipelago by Bismarck Strait. In addition to Tower Island and Anvers Island, the group includes: Trinity Island, Hoseason Island, Liège Island, Brabant Island, Wiencke Island and off-liers. The N part of the archipelago, together with the N coast of Trinity Peninsula, was sighted on 17 November 1820 by Capt. Nathaniel Brown Palmer (1799-1877), American sealer and the name Palmer's Land was later applied to the land sighted. Foster on his voyage of 1829 applied the name Prince William(')s Land collectively to the N part of the archipelago and the N part of Danco Coast, after Prince William, Duke of Clarence. The feature was shown to be an archipelago by GAE, in 1873 Palmer Archipelago (GBR chart, 1901); [extending from Hoseason Island to Anvers Island] APC, 1953; [as now defined] APC, 1962. For further information see British Antarctic Territory Gazetteer.
No images of this place could be found.