Sally Cove (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Sally Cove (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail email@example.com
Feature type: Cove
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
SW of Homing Head, Horseshoe Island (q.v.), Marguerite Bay, Fallières Coast. The FIDS "Base Y", also known as "Horseshoe Island", was established for continuous occupation on the SW point of the cove, 11 March 1955 (SPRI, 1956b, p.260; Anderson, 1957, p.117; BAS 250P sheet SQ 19-20/14 (Ext.), 1-DOS 1978). Following survey by FIDS, 1955-57, the cove was so named because it was used by all FIDS sledge parties "sallying" N from the station (APC, 1959a, p.11; BA chart 3213, 12.viii.1960; DOS 310 Horseshoe Island sheet, 1961). The station was evacuated, 21 August 1960, but has since been used on occasion by field parties. Caleta Javieri, so called by CAE probably after a relative of an expedition member (Chile. DNH, 1962, p.197; IHA, 1974, p.164). "Khorsshu-Ayland", referring to the FIDS station (Soviet Union. AA, 1966, Pl.24).
No images of this place could be found.