Stonington Island (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Stonington Island (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail email@example.com
Feature type: Island
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
off S side of terminus of Northeast Glacier, Neny Bay, Marguerite Bay, Fallières Coast, was formerly joined to the mainland by an ice ramp but is now separated from the mainland, following the retreat of the glacier; was surveyed by USAS, 1940-41, named after Stonington, Conn., the home port of the sloop Hero (Capt. N.B. Palmer, Palmer Archipelago, q.v.), and chosen as the site of the expedition's "East Base", which was occupied from 11 March 1940 to 22 March 1941 (Dyer, map, [c. 1941]; USHO chart 6652, 1946; BA chart 3196, 12.xi.1948; APC, 1955, p.20; DCS 601 sheet 68 64, 1955). Isla Stonington (Chile. DNH chart 530, 1947; IHA, 1974, p.269). Islita Stonington (Ihl C. and Ayala A., 1947, p.72). Isla Stonnington [sic] (Flores Silva, 1947, p.252). The FIDS "Base E" was established on the island, 24 February 1946; it was also referred to as "Marguerite Bay" and later as "Stonington Island". The USAS "East Base" was re-occupied by RARE from 12 March 1947 to 20 February 1948. Isla Sotnington [sic] (CACA, 1949b, p.30). Ostrov Stonington (Aleyner, 1949, map p.343). Stonington Öya (Rønne, 1950b, map p.191). Stonnington [sic] (CACA, 1950a, p.40). "Base E" was evacuated, 12 February 1950. Isla Stonningston [sic] (Flores Silva, 1952, p.86). Islote Stonington (Argentina. MM, 1953, p.308b). A Chilean refuge hut was established on the island by the CAE patrol ship Leucotón, 7 February 1956 (Thomas, 1957b, p.525). Stonington Eiland (Knapp, 1958, p.586). "Base E" was re-occupied from 10 March 1958 to 7 March 1959. Ilha de Stonington, Wyspie Stonington (Fuchs and Hillary, 1959b, p.16; 1959f, p.15). "Base E" was re-occupied, 14 August 1960. Stonington-Sziget (Fuchs and Hillary, 1962, p.18). "Stonington-Ayland", referring to the British station (Soviet Union. AA, 1966, Pl. 24). "Base E" or "Stonington Island" was closed down, 23 February 1975 (Times, 19 April 1975).
No images of this place could be found.