Whalers Bay (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Whalers Bay (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail email@example.com
Feature type: Bay
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
between Penfold Point and Fildes Point on N side of Neptunes Bellows, Port Foster (q.v.), Deception Island, was known to nineteenth-century sealers probably by the name Deception Harbour (Pendleton, 1821-23, 6 November 1821; ICRD, 1920, p.89); charted by FAE, 1908-10, in December 1908 and named Anse des Baleiniers [=whalers bay] (Charcot, 1910, p.316; 1912, Pl.1) or L'Anse des Baleiniers (Charcot, 1910, p.29). The headquarters for a British Magistrate was established on the bay in 1909 and occupied continuously by magistrates until 1931. Ensenada de los Balleneros (Gourdon, , p.129). New Sandefiord, referring to the name used by Norwegian whalers in 1909 after their home port (Charcot, 1910, p.316). New Sandefjord, Whalers' Cove (Charcot, [1911b], p.259). In the 1912-13 season, the Hektor Whaling Company erected their factory on the bay under FID Government license, the first whale being processed, 24 December 1912, and the factory continued in operation each season until 1931. Whaler's Bay (Lester, 1920-22a, Vol. 1. p.78; Nelson and others chart, 1935j; France. SHM, 1937, p.399). Desception [sic] Bay (Risting, 1922). Geological work was carried out in the vicinity of the bay by NAE, 1927-28. In the 1928-29 season, between November and January, Wilkins used the bay as a base for flying operations with a ski-equipped Lockheed Vega monoplane (C.B. Eielson, chief pilot, Eielson Peninsula, q.v.), the flight of 16 November being the first ever made in Antarctica (Wilkins, 1929). Bay of Whales (Yoder, 1929, map p.217). Whaler's Cove (Wilkins, 1929, p.373). Whalers' Harbour (Holtedahl, 1929, p.30). In the 1929-30 season, Wilkins again used the bay as a base for the initial flying before moving to Port Lockroy (Wilkins, 1930). The bay was further charted by DI, 1934-35. Whalers' Bay (Bagshawe, 1939, p.3). Whalers Bay (USAAF chart [LR-74], 1942; BA chart 3205, 1945; 3202, 23.ix.1949; APC, 1955, p.22). Caleta Balleneros [translation of English name] (Argentina. MM chart 100, 1944; Pierrou, 1970, p.188; Chile. IHA, 1974, p.38). The FIDS station, called "Base B" or "Deception Island", was established on the bay, 6 February 1944; it was destroyed by fire in September 1946, rebuilt in the 1946-47 season, and continuously occupied until 5 December 1967, when it was closed down following volcanic eruption. Caleta Ballenera (Cordovez Madariaga, 1945, p.156). The bay was recharted by an RN Hydrographic Survey Unit, 1948-49. An Argentine hut was constructed on the bay, 14 January 1953, and called "Teniente Cándido de la Sala" after an officer of the Argentine Marines who died on active service; the hut was dismantled by FIDS, 15 February 1953. A Chilean refuge hut was also constructed on the bay in January 1953 and dismantled by FIDS (Thomas, 1956b, p.170). Anse Ballenero (France. SHM, 1954, p.46). "Lasala", referring to the Argentine hut (Roberts and Thomas, 1956, p.59). The bay was used as a base for flying operations by FIDASE, 1956-57 (Mott, 1986). Rada di Balenieri (Zavatti, 1958, Tav. 9). Caleta Ballenero (Chile. DNH, 1962, p.114). Fondeadero Fontana [=fountain archorage], referring either to this feature or to Port Foster (Argentina. MM chart 110, 1963). "Desepshen-Ayland", referring to the British station (Soviet Union. AA, 1966, Pl. 24). The British station was used as a base for BAS air operations between 4 December 1968 and 23 February 1969, when further volcanic activity severely damaged the British station and totally destroyed the old whaling factory. Bahía Balleneros (González-Ferrán and Katsui, 1970, p.162).
No images of this place could be found.