Winter Island (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Winter Island (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail email@example.com
Feature type: Island
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
one of the Argentine Islands (q.v.), Graham Coast, separated from Galindez Island by Stella Creek and from Skua Island by Skua Creek, was surveyed by BGLE in 1935 and so named because the SE point of the island was the site of the expedition's winter hut, occupied from 14 February 1935 to 17 February 1936 ([Debenham], 1936, p.160; Rymill and others, 1938, p.57; BA chart 3213, 7.ii.1947; APC, 1955, p.22; DOS 210 Argentine Islands sheet, 1964). Isla Winter (Rymill and others, 1943, map facing p.72; Chile. IHA, 1974, p.303). Île de l'Hiver [translation of English name] (Rouch, 1944, map p.11). The BGLE hut was destroyed in winter 1946, possibly by a tidal wave (Bingham, 1947, p.35), but a new FIDS station, called "Base F" or "Argentine Islands" (Faraday, q.v.), was established on the site and occupied continuously from 9 January 1947 until February 1954. Isla Invierno [translation of English name] (Argentina. CNA, 1947, p.71; Pierrou, 1970, p.440). The main buildings of the FIDS station were moved to Marina Point (q.v.), Galindez Island, in 1953. Winter Eiland (Knapp, 1958, p.589). In 1960, a FIDS party of six men wintered at a hut on the old site, when plans for establishing "Base T" (Adelaide, q.v.) were abandoned for that season (SPRI, 1961c, p.523). "Wordie Hut", referring to the original FIDS hut after Sir J.M. Wordie (Wordie Ice Shelf, q.v.) (BA, 1974, p.191).
No images of this place could be found.