Andersson Island (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Andersson Island (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Feature type: Island (5)
This name originates from United States of America. It is part of the United States Gazetteer and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
Island 7 mi long and 4 mi wide, lying 0.5 mi S of Jonassen Island at the W side of the S entrance to Antarctic Sound, off the NE tip of Antarctic Peninsula. This island was named Uruguay Island by the SwedAE, 1901-04, under Nordenskjold, after the Argentine ship Uruguay which participated in the rescue of the ship-wrecked SwedAE in 1903. In 1904, the FrAE under Charcot, apparently unaware of the Swedish naming, gave the name Uruguay to an island off the W coast of Antarctic Peninsula. Since it is confusing to have two islands in close proximity identically named, and because Charcot's Uruguay Island has appeared more widely on maps and in reports, the US-ACAN accepts the decision of the UK-APC that the name given this island by Nordenskjold be altered. The new name commemorates J. Gunnar Andersson, who was second-in-command of Nordenskjold's expedition.
No images of this place could be found.