Lazarev Bay (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Lazarev Bay (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail email@example.com
Feature type: Bay (3)
This name originates from United States of America. It is part of the United States Gazetteer and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
Rectangular bay, 15 mi long and 13 mi wide, between Alexander Island and Rothschild Island and bounded on the S by ice shelf joining the two islands. The N coast of Alexander Island was first seen from a great distance by the Russian expedition of 1821 under Bellingshausen. The bay was first mapped from air photos taken by the RARE, 1947-48, by Searle of the FIDS in 1960. Named by the UK-APC for Lt. Mikhail P. Lazarev (1788-1851), second-in-command of the Russian expedition and commander of the sloop Mirnyy.
No images of this place could be found.