McMurdo Station (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
McMurdo Station (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Feature type: Station
This name originates from New Zealand. It is part of the New Zealand Gazetteer and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
The United States of America's base in the Ross Sea, located at Hut Point Peninsula, and approximately 2km west of Scott Base (New Zealand), through The Gap. Feature depicted on: NZ AntTopo50-MF13
Established in December 1955 and opened in 1956. The name 'Williams Air Operating Facility' was applied by its commander Admiral George Dufek. In 1957-58 the station was designated 'Naval Air Facility, McMurdo' in preparation for the International Geophysical Year. The name 'McMurdo Station' over time achieved greater currency than the official name. In 1961 the base became permanent, with the name McMurdo Station. The Williams name was reapplied to the ice airstrip. The station with around 85 buildings supports up to 1258 staff in summer, with up to 250 overwintering. The largest base in Antarctica.
No images of this place could be found.