Casey (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Casey (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Feature type: Station
This name originates from Australia. It is part of the Australian Antarctic Gazetteer and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
A scientific station on the northern part of Bailey Peninsula, Budd Coast about 3 km south of the abandoned Wilkes station. Construction of Old Casey station commenced in January, 1965 and was continued, mainly during summer visits, until February, 1969, when the station was opened and activities were transferred from Wilkes station. The sixteen buildings of the present Casey Station were officially opened in December 1988. The previous tunnel Station was finally decommissioned, demolished and returned to Australia in March 1989.
Lord Casey, who, when Australian Political Liaison Officer in London, was closely associated with BANZARE (1929-31), and who as Australian Minister of External Affairs, 1951-60, was responsible for Australian Antarctic activities.