Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR)
Collated by Programma Nazionale di Ricerche in Antartide (Italy)
in the framework of the SCAR Standing Committee on Antarctic Geographic Information (SCAGI)
Half Moon Island (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Half Moon Island (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Feature type: Island
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
in Moon Bay, E Livingston Island, on SW side of McFarlane Strait, was roughly charted by nineteenth-century sealers, the first landing probably being made by Palmer on 18 November 1820 (Palmer, 1820-21); so named from its crescent shape, which provides a good harbour (Fildes, 1821c; BA chart 3205, 28.vii.1933; APC, 1955, p.11; DOS 610 sheet W 62 58, 1968); also called Moon Island (Davis, 1821-22, 14 March 1821) or Johnsons Island, probably after Capt. R. Johnson (Johnsons Dock, q.v.) (Weddell, 1825a, map facing p.132). Halbmond Insel [translation of English name] (Fildes, 1827, p.460). Johnsons Insel (Weddell, 1827, third map). Half-moon Island (Fildes, 1829; BA, 1930, p.63). Johnson's Island (Powell, chart, 1831). Isla Johnson (Spain. DH chart 458, 1861). Keith Island, almost certainly referring to this feature (Ferguson, 1921, p.44). The island was recharted by DI in 1935. Isla Half Moon (Argentina. MM chart 105, 1949). Isla H. Moon (Argentina. MM chart 102, 1949). Isla Media Luna [translation of English name] (Argentina. MM, 1953, p.108b; Pierrou, 1970, p.512; Chile. IHA, 1974, p.198). An Argentine station was established at the head of the harbour on the E side of the island in March 1952 and formally opened on 1 April 1953 (Thomas, 1956a, p.163, 165); called "Teniente Cámara" (Argentina. MM, 1957a, p.76a) or "Destacamento Naval Teniente Cámara" (Argentina. MM, 1957a, p.76; Pierrou, 1970, p.682) after Tte de Navío Juan Ramón Cámara, who was accidentally killed by a helicopter blade at Potter Cove, King George Island, 15 January 1955; permanently occupied until 1960 and in summers only since that time (SPRI, 1961a, p.522). Moonön (Frödin, 1956, end map). Halve Maan Eiland [translation of English name] (Knapp, 1958, p.575). "Ten'yente-Kamara" (Soviet Union. AA, 1966, Pl.24). "Teniente Cámara Station" (BA, 1974, p.167).
No images of this place could be found.