Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR)
Collated by Programma Nazionale di Ricerche in Antartide (Italy)
in the framework of the SCAR Standing Committee on Antarctic Geographic Information (SCAGI)
Midas Island (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Midas Island (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Feature type: Island
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
NW of Sterneck Island, Hughes Bay, Danco Coast, was sighted by BeAE in January 1898, when it was described as an island with two summits "like the ears of an ass" (Lecointe, 1905, p.73); roughly charted by SwAE (Nordenskjöld, 1917, map facing p.68); sketched by BAE, 1920-22, on 24 March 1922, but incorrectly labelled Cape Spring (Lester, 1920-22b, p.10) or Cape W. Spring (Bagshawe, 1921-22c, p.B.55) (Spring Point, q.v.). Islote Fisher, probably referring to this feature (Argentina. MM, 1953, p.331). Isla Coy [=hammock island], so called descriptively (Argentina. MM chart OO(b), 1954). The island was photographed from the air by FIDASE, 1956-57. Isla José Hernández, so called by AAE after the Argentine poet José Hernández (1834-86) (Argentina. MM chart 128, 1957; Pierrou, 1970, p.452). Islote José Hernández (Argentina. MM, 1957a, p.97). Oliver Island (Bancroft, 1959, p. 103). Islote Mansilla, in error for this feature (Isla Mansilla, q.v.) (Argentina. MM, 1957a, p.97). Following survey by FIDS from "Portal Point", 1957-59, the island was named Midas Island in reference to the BeAE description of the island, Midas, King of Phrygia (fl. c. 700 BC), being depicted in Greek satyric drama with the ears of an ass (APC, 1960, p.6; BA chart 3560, 7.iv.1961). Isla Bofill, so called by CAE, 1960-61, after Tte 1° Luis Bofill de Caso, engineer officer in the expedition ship Yelcho (Chile. DNH chart 1501, 1962; IHA, 1974, p.49).
No images of this place could be found.