Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR)
Collated by Programma Nazionale di Ricerche in Antartide (Italy)
in the framework of the SCAR Standing Committee on Antarctic Geographic Information (SCAGI)
Petrel Cove (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Petrel Cove (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail email@example.com
Feature type: Cove
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
NE side of Welchness, Dundee Island. The Argentine refuge hut "Petrel" (from an oper- ational codename) was established on the S side of the cove in January 1952 (Thomas, 1956a, p.162) and formally opened, 18 December 1952. Rada Petrel, referring to the anchorage off the cove (Argentina. MM, 1953, p.314b; Pierrou, 1970, p.588). The cove was surveyed by FIDS from "Hope Bay", 1958-61. "Petrel" (USHO, 1963, p.322; BAS 250 sheet SP 21-22/14 (Ext.), 1-DOS 1973). Petrel Cove (APC, 1964, p.4; BAS 250 sheet SP 21-22/14 (Ext.), 1-DOS 1973). The Argentine "Refugio Petrel" was enlarged and formally opened as "Estación Aeronaval Petrel", 22 February 1967 (Pierrou, 1970, p.588); permanently occupied until early 1977, since when it has been used for temporary occupation. Fondeadero Rada Petrel (Pierrou, 1970, p.615).
No images of this place could be found.