Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR)
Collated by Programma Nazionale di Ricerche in Antartide (Italy)
in the framework of the SCAR Standing Committee on Antarctic Geographic Information (SCAGI)
Picnic Passage (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Picnic Passage (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Feature type: Passage
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
running E-W and separating Seymour Island from Snow Hill Island, was surveyed by SwAE in April 1902 (Nordenskjöld and others, 1905, p.155) and called Seymoursund (Nordenskjöld, 1911b, p.181); re-surveyed by FIDS from "Hope Bay" in September 1952 and named Picnic Passage in reference to the excellent sledging conditions at the time, giving a picnic atmosphere to the work (APC, 1955, p.17; DOS 610 sheet W 64 56, 1961). An Argentine refuge hut was established at the NE end of Snow Hill Island, and on the S side of the passage, 1 January 1954, and called "Betbeder" after Contra-almte O. Betbeder (Cape Betbeder, q.v.) (Thomas, 1956a, p.167). Estrecho Arguindeguy, so called by AAE after Tte (F) Luis E. Arguindeguy, of the Argentine Navy, who was killed in an avalanche at Mendoza, 18 August 1953, while in training for command of a naval detachment in the Antarctic (Argentina. MM, 1956, p.119; Pierrou, 1970, p.171). Arguindeguy Strait (USHO, 1963, p.328). "Refugio Betbeder" (Pierrou, 1970, p.201).
No images of this place could be found.