Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR)
Collated by Programma Nazionale di Ricerche in Antartide (Italy)
in the framework of the SCAR Standing Committee on Antarctic Geographic Information (SCAGI)
Potter Cove (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Potter Cove (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail email@example.com
Feature type: Cove
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
between Winship Point and Three Brothers Hill, S King George Island, was roughly charted by nineteenth-century sealers (having been discovered by Capt. John Roberts, of the King George from Liverpool) and described as the best harbour on the coast of the island (Fildes, 1821a); named Potter's Cove, possibly after Capt. Samuel Potter, a British navigator of the period (Sherratt, 1821, col. 1215; Powell, chart, 1822a; Foster and Kendall, chart, 1829a). Potters Cove (Fildes, 1821a; Weddell, 1825a, map facing p.132; BA, 1930, p.61). Ance Potter's (Powell, 1824a, map facing p.5). Potters Bucht (Weddell, 1827, third end map). Cala Petter's [sic] (Spain. DH chart 458, 1861). The cove was visited by GAE, 1873-74, and some of the crew of the American sealing ship Florence wintered there in 1877 (Florence Nunatak, q.v.). Potter Cove (Balch, 1904, map facing p.81; BA, 1930, p.61; chart 3205, 12.ii.1954; APC, 1955, p.17; BA chart 1774, 14.ix.1962). H vre Peter [sic], H vre Petter [sic] (Charcot, 1912, Pl. 1 and 11). H vre Potter (Bongrain, 1914, vue following p.60). The cove was recharted by DI, 1934-35. Petter [sic] Cove (France. SHM, 1937, p.393). An Argentine refuge hut was established on the cove, 27 January 1948, and called "Jubany" after Tte Jubany, pilot in the Argentine Navy who was killed in an air accident near the Rio Gallegos (Thomas, 1956a, p.161; BAS sheet Misc. 2, 1981); it was then occupied seasonally until 1982, when it became a permanent station. A FIDS survey party from "Admiralty Bay" found the refuge hut unoccupied, 30 July 1949, and also found a commemorative plaque erected on the beach by GAE, 1873-74 (Hattersley-Smith, 1951, p.70). Caleta Potter (Argentina. MM chart 104, 1949; Pierrou, 1970, p.599; Chile. IHA 1974, p.230). The cove was further charted from HMS Veryan Bay (Cdr. L. R. P. Lawford, RN), 1954-55, and photographed from the air by FIDASE in 1956. "Refugio Teniente Jubany" (Argentina. MM, 1957b, p.47; Pierrou, 1970, p.683). Crique Potter, Cala Potter (Fourcade, 1960, p.14, 16). "Ten'yente-Khubani" (Soviet Union. AA, 1966, Pl. 24). Bukhta Potter, "Potter" [referring to the refuge] (Govorukha and Simonov, 1973, map Fig. 1, p.9). "Ten'yente Jubany" (Soviet Union. GUGK map 221, 1973).
No images of this place could be found.