SCAR Gazetteer Information: Each place can have one or more entries in the SCAR Composite Gazetteer, dependant on its origin. By viewing an individual entry, you may see multiple references to the same place. SCAR uses a more general feature type coding, so each place will, in general, have multiple feature types.

Showing all 4 place names.

Name Latitude Longitude Feature Type
Neko Harbor (USA) 64° 50' 00.0" S 62° 33' 00.0" W Harbour
Name ID: 129308 Place ID: 10134

Small bay indenting the E shore of Andvord Bay 6 mi SE of Beneden Head, along the W coast of Graham Land. First seen and roughly charted by the BelgAE under Gerlache, 1897-99. Named after Messrs. Chr. Salvesen's floating factory Neko, which operated in the South Shetland Islands and Antarctic Peninsula area for many seasons between 1911-12 and 1923-24, and which often used this bay. The name was published by the Scottish geologist David Ferguson in 1921, following his visit to this area in 1913.

Neko Harbour (GBR) 64° 50' 00.0" S 62° 31' 00.0" W Harbour
Name ID: 110314 Place ID: 10134

NE side of Andvord Bay, Danco Coast, was roughly charted by BeAE, 12 February 1898 (Lecointe, 1903, Carte 5); used as an anchorage by Chr. Salvesen's factory ship Neko (Capt. Sinclair) from Leith, Scotland, in most seasons from 1911-12 to 1915-16, and from 1918-19 to 1923-24 (the ship was lost in July 1924); further charted by Ferguson in 1913 and named after the factory ship (Ferguson, 1921, p.47; APC, 1955, p.15; BA chart 3213, 23.iii.1956; BAS 250 sheet SQ 19-20/4, 1-DOS 1974). Neko Harbor (USHO, 1943, p.124; USBGN, 1956, p.222). An Argentine refuge hut was established on the SE point of the harbour, probably by the tugboat Chiriguano, 9 March 1949 (Thomas, 1954, p.159), and named "Capitán Fliess" after Capt. (later Almte) F. Fliess (Fliess Bay, q.v.); the hut was destroyed in 1951 but rebuilt in January 1952 for occasional occupation. Puerto Neko (Argentina. MM chart 106, 1949; Pierrou, 1970, p.543; Chile. IHA, 1974, p.209). "Refugio Fliess" (Argentina. MM, 1957b, p.107; Pierrou, 1970, p.365). The harbour was photographed from the air by FIDASE, 1956-57.

Neko, puerto (ARG) 64° 50' 00.0" S 62° 31' 00.0" W Harbour
Name ID: 101663 Place ID: 10134

Neko, Puerto (CHL) 64° 51' 00.0" S 62° 32' 00.0" W Harbour
Name ID: 105996 Place ID: 10134

Visto por primera vez y cartografiado en forma imprecisa por la Expedición Belga al mando del teniente Adrien de Gerlache, entre 1897-1899. Denominado así por el buque fábrica "Neko", de Mesers. Chr. Salvesen, el cual operó en las Shetland del Sur, península Tierra de O'Higgins por varias temporadas entre los años 1911-1912 y 1923-1924, y que uso varias veces este puerto. El nombre fue publicado por el geólogo escocés David Ferguson en 1921, después de visitar esta región en 1913. Pequeña bahía en el extremo interior NE de bahía Andvord en la costa W de la península Tierra de O'Higgins.

Showing all 4 place names.

The SCAR Composite Gazetteer is hosted by the Australian Antarctic Data Centre. The information in the footer below pertains to the AADC web site.