SCAR Gazetteer Information: Each place can have one or more entries in the SCAR Composite Gazetteer, dependant on its origin. By viewing an individual entry, you may see multiple references to the same place. SCAR uses a more general feature type coding, so each place will, in general, have multiple feature types.

Showing all 5 place names.

Name Latitude Longitude Feature Type
Balleneros, caleta (ARG) 62° 59' 00.0" S 60° 34' 00.0" W Bay
Name ID: 100193 Place ID: 15941

Balleneros, Caleta (CHL) 62° 59' 00.0" S 60° 34' 00.0" W Bay
Name ID: 105145 Place ID: 15941

La Expedición Antártica Francesa de 1908-1910, al mando del Dr. Jean B. Charcot, la denominó Ansedes Baleiniers ensenada de los balleneros porque en esa época era usada por los cazadores de ballenas noruegos y chilenos, que se dedicaban a su actividad con base en la isla Decepción. Los noruegos la llamaban New Sadefiord por su puerto de origen en Noruega. El nombre en uso es una traducción al castellano que se ha usado en las cartas chilenas desde 1947. Pequeña caleta encerrada entre la punta Fildes y la punta Penfold, en el lado E de puerto Foster, isla Decepción, islas Shetland del Sur.

Whalers Bay (RUS) 62° 59' 00.0" S 60° 34' 00.0" W Bay
Name ID: 121358 Place ID: 15941

Whalers Bay (GBR) 62° 58' 59.6" S 60° 33' 42.1" W Bay
Name ID: 111902 Place ID: 15941

between Penfold Point and Fildes Point on N side of Neptunes Bellows, Port Foster (q.v.), Deception Island, was known to nineteenth-century sealers probably by the name Deception Harbour (Pendleton, 1821-23, 6 November 1821; ICRD, 1920, p.89); charted by FAE, 1908-10, in December 1908 and named Anse des Baleiniers [=whalers bay] (Charcot, 1910, p.316; 1912, Pl.1) or L'Anse des Baleiniers (Charcot, 1910, p.29). The headquarters for a British Magistrate was established on the bay in 1909 and occupied continuously by magistrates until 1931. Ensenada de los Balleneros (Gourdon, [1910], p.129). New Sandefiord, referring to the name used by Norwegian whalers in 1909 after their home port (Charcot, 1910, p.316). New Sandefjord, Whalers' Cove (Charcot, [1911b], p.259). In the 1912-13 season, the Hektor Whaling Company erected their factory on the bay under FID Government license, the first whale being processed, 24 December 1912, and the factory continued in operation each season until 1931. Whaler's Bay (Lester, 1920-22a, Vol. 1. p.78; Nelson and others chart, 1935j; France. SHM, 1937, p.399). Desception [sic] Bay (Risting, 1922). Geological work was carried out in the vicinity of the bay by NAE, 1927-28. In the 1928-29 season, between November and January, Wilkins used the bay as a base for flying operations with a ski-equipped Lockheed Vega monoplane (C.B. Eielson, chief pilot, Eielson Peninsula, q.v.), the flight of 16 November being the first ever made in Antarctica (Wilkins, 1929). Bay of Whales (Yoder, 1929, map p.217). Whaler's Cove (Wilkins, 1929, p.373). Whalers' Harbour (Holtedahl, 1929, p.30). In the 1929-30 season, Wilkins again used the bay as a base for the initial flying before moving to Port Lockroy (Wilkins, 1930). The bay was further charted by DI, 1934-35. Whalers' Bay (Bagshawe, 1939, p.3). Whalers Bay (USAAF chart [LR-74], 1942; BA chart 3205, 1945; 3202, 23.ix.1949; APC, 1955, p.22). Caleta Balleneros [translation of English name] (Argentina. MM chart 100, 1944; Pierrou, 1970, p.188; Chile. IHA, 1974, p.38). The FIDS station, called "Base B" or "Deception Island", was established on the bay, 6 February 1944; it was destroyed by fire in September 1946, rebuilt in the 1946-47 season, and continuously occupied until 5 December 1967, when it was closed down following volcanic eruption. Caleta Ballenera (Cordovez Madariaga, 1945, p.156). The bay was recharted by an RN Hydrographic Survey Unit, 1948-49. An Argentine hut was constructed on the bay, 14 January 1953, and called "Teniente Cándido de la Sala" after an officer of the Argentine Marines who died on active service; the hut was dismantled by FIDS, 15 February 1953. A Chilean refuge hut was also constructed on the bay in January 1953 and dismantled by FIDS (Thomas, 1956b, p.170). Anse Ballenero (France. SHM, 1954, p.46). "Lasala", referring to the Argentine hut (Roberts and Thomas, 1956, p.59). The bay was used as a base for flying operations by FIDASE, 1956-57 (Mott, 1986). Rada di Balenieri (Zavatti, 1958, Tav. 9). Caleta Ballenero (Chile. DNH, 1962, p.114). Fondeadero Fontana [=fountain archorage], referring either to this feature or to Port Foster (Argentina. MM chart 110, 1963). "Desepshen-Ayland", referring to the British station (Soviet Union. AA, 1966, Pl. 24). The British station was used as a base for BAS air operations between 4 December 1968 and 23 February 1969, when further volcanic activity severely damaged the British station and totally destroyed the old whaling factory. Bahía Balleneros (González-Ferrán and Katsui, 1970, p.162).

Whalers Bay (USA) 62° 59' 00.0" S 60° 34' 00.0" W Bay
Name ID: 133607 Place ID: 15941

Small bay entered between Fildes Point and Penfold Point at the E side of Port Foster, Deception Island, in the South Shetland Islands. The bay was so named by the FrAE, 1908-10, under Charcot, because of its use at that time by whalers.

Showing all 5 place names.

The SCAR Composite Gazetteer is hosted by the Australian Antarctic Data Centre. The information in the footer below pertains to the AADC web site.