SCAR Gazetteer Information: Each place can have one or more entries in the SCAR Composite Gazetteer, dependant on its origin. By viewing an individual entry, you may see multiple references to the same place. SCAR uses a more general feature type coding, so each place will, in general, have multiple feature types.

Showing all 2 place names.

Name Latitude Longitude Feature Type
Mayo, Cape (GBR) 68° 54' 00.0" S 63° 23' 00.0" W Cape
Name ID: 110056 Place ID: 9202

between Cape Keeler and Miller Point, Wilkins Coast, was probably seen from the air, 20 December 1928, by Wilkins who applied the name to the NE point of his Scripps Island (Scripps Heights, q.v.) in c. 69°50'S 64°40'W, after William B. Mayo of the Ford Motor Company (Wilkins, 1929, Fig.28, p.367 and map facing p.374; Wordie, 1929, map following p.304; BA chart 3175, 7.vii.1933). Following study of Wilkins' photographs, in which his cape could not be identified in relation to other named features, the name Cape Mayo was applied to the present feature (Joerg, 1937, map facing p.444; [in 68°56'S 63°17'W] USHO, 1943, p.272; [in 68°54'S 63°20'W] USBGN, 1947, p.199; [in 68°53'S 63°25'W] APC, 1955, p.15; DCS 601 sheet 68 62, 1955; [co ordinates corrected] DOS 610 sheet W 68 62, 1963; APC, 1986, p.3). Cabo Mayo (Chile. DNH chart I, 1947). The cape was surveyed from the ground by USAS in December 1940 and by FIDS RARE from "Stonington Island" in November 1947. Mys Meyo (Soviet Union. MMF chart, 1961). The cape was further surveyed by FIDS from "Horseshoe Island" and "Stonington Island", 1960-62.

Mayo, Cape (USA) 68° 54' 00.0" S 63° 23' 00.0" W Cape
Name ID: 128593 Place ID: 9202

Bare rock cliff, forming the E end of a flat, ice-covered platform which rises to 500 m, situated between Cape Keeler and Miller Point on the E coast of Palmer Land. Discovered by Sir Hubert Wilkins on a flight, Dec. 20, 1928, and named by him for William B. Mayo of the Ford Motor Company. It has been more fully defined on the basis of information resulting from flights by Lincoln Ellsworth in 1935, and from the flights and sledge journey along this coast by members of the East Base of the USAS in 1940.

Showing all 2 place names.

The SCAR Composite Gazetteer is hosted by the Australian Antarctic Data Centre. The information in the footer below pertains to the AADC web site.