SCAR Gazetteer Information: Each place can have one or more entries in the SCAR Composite Gazetteer, dependant on its origin. By viewing an individual entry, you may see multiple references to the same place. SCAR uses a more general feature type coding, so each place will, in general, have multiple feature types.

Showing all 3 place names.

Name Latitude Longitude Feature Type
Stonington Island (GBR) 68° 11' 00.0" S 67° 00' 00.0" W Island
Name ID: 111418 Place ID: 14072

off S side of terminus of Northeast Glacier, Neny Bay, Marguerite Bay, Fallières Coast, was formerly joined to the mainland by an ice ramp but is now separated from the mainland, following the retreat of the glacier; was surveyed by USAS, 1940-41, named after Stonington, Conn., the home port of the sloop Hero (Capt. N.B. Palmer, Palmer Archipelago, q.v.), and chosen as the site of the expedition's "East Base", which was occupied from 11 March 1940 to 22 March 1941 (Dyer, map, [c. 1941]; USHO chart 6652, 1946; BA chart 3196, 12.xi.1948; APC, 1955, p.20; DCS 601 sheet 68 64, 1955). Isla Stonington (Chile. DNH chart 530, 1947; IHA, 1974, p.269). Islita Stonington (Ihl C. and Ayala A., 1947, p.72). Isla Stonnington [sic] (Flores Silva, 1947, p.252). The FIDS "Base E" was established on the island, 24 February 1946; it was also referred to as "Marguerite Bay" and later as "Stonington Island". The USAS "East Base" was re-occupied by RARE from 12 March 1947 to 20 February 1948. Isla Sotnington [sic] (CACA, 1949b, p.30). Ostrov Stonington (Aleyner, 1949, map p.343). Stonington Öya (Rønne, 1950b, map p.191). Stonnington [sic] (CACA, 1950a, p.40). "Base E" was evacuated, 12 February 1950. Isla Stonningston [sic] (Flores Silva, 1952, p.86). Islote Stonington (Argentina. MM, 1953, p.308b). A Chilean refuge hut was established on the island by the CAE patrol ship Leucotón, 7 February 1956 (Thomas, 1957b, p.525). Stonington Eiland (Knapp, 1958, p.586). "Base E" was re-occupied from 10 March 1958 to 7 March 1959. Ilha de Stonington, Wyspie Stonington (Fuchs and Hillary, 1959b, p.16; 1959f, p.15). "Base E" was re-occupied, 14 August 1960. Stonington-Sziget (Fuchs and Hillary, 1962, p.18). "Stonington-Ayland", referring to the British station (Soviet Union. AA, 1966, Pl. 24). "Base E" or "Stonington Island" was closed down, 23 February 1975 (Times, 19 April 1975).

Stonington Island (USA) 68° 11' 00.0" S 67° 00' 00.0" W Island
Name ID: 132213 Place ID: 14072

Rocky island lying 1 mi NE of Neny Island in the E part of Marguerite Bay, off the W coast of Graham Land. This island, 0.4 mi long from NW to SE and 0.2 mi wide, is connected by a drifted snow slope to Northeast Glacier on the mainland. It was chosen as the site for the East Base of the USAS, 1939-41, and named after Stonington, CT, home port of the sloop Hero in which Capt. Nathaniel B. Palmer sighted the Antarctic continent in 1820.

Stonington Island (Base E) /Brit./ (RUS) 68° 11' 00.0" S 67° 00' 00.0" W
Name ID: 120805 Place ID: 14073

Showing all 3 place names.

The SCAR Composite Gazetteer is hosted by the Australian Antarctic Data Centre. The information in the footer below pertains to the AADC web site.