All scientific data collected by the Australian Antarctic program (AAp) are eventually described in the Catalogue of Australian Antarctic and Subantarctic Metadata (CAASM). CAASM can be used to search through AAp data descriptions, and it also provides links to access publicly available datasets, which can either be immediately downloaded or obtained from the Australian Antarctic Data Centre (AADC).
This record contains a summary of all data associated with the Windmill Islands long term vegetation monitoring program, conducted between 2000 and 2013, under projects ASAC_1313, AAS_3042 and AAS_4046. This record provides information about field collections and sampling methods, as well as providing raw data for vegetation cover/health, species abundance, moisture availability and vegetation surface temperature at two sites in the Windmill Islands (ASPA 135 and Robinson Ridge).
This excel file provides a summary of vegetation community data collected between 2000 and 2013.
1. "Vocabulary" – provides a detailed description of methods, terms and abbreviations.
2. "DataCollection" – provides information about sampling, analyses and publications.
3. "Quadrat" – provides a schematic of the quadrats used in this study, providing details of the size used for photos (25 x 25 cm), sample collection (20 x 20 cm) and grid interval details.
4. "CamerasUsed" – provides information about the cameras used each field season.
5. "VegCover" – vegetation cover/health assessments of quadrat photographs using a semi-automated object-based image analysis (OBIA) protocol.
6. "Species" – species abundance assessments of vegetation microsamples.
7. "CWC" – community water content assessments as an estimate of vegetation moisture content per quadrat.
8. "d13C" – δ13C assessments as an indicator of recent vegetation submergence conditions per quadrat.
9. "Temperature" – vegetation surface temperature using field-deployed temperature loggers per quadrat.
Quadrat location data at two sites in the Windmill Islands (ASPA 135 and Robinson Ridge) are provided in metadata ID: AAS_4046_quadrat_locations
And shown in two maps which are available via the AADC map catalogue:
Baseline survey was described in Metadata ID ASAC_1313_Transects_2002-03; five and 10 year surveys described in ASAC_1313_Transects_2007-08 and AAS_4046_Transects_2012-13, respectively.
These data are not yet publicly available.
This data set conforms to the CCBY Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Please follow instructions listed in the citation reference provided at http://data.aad.gov.au/aadc/metadata/citation.cfm?entry_id=AAS_4046_Transects_2000-2013 when using these data.