Arthur Harbour (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Arthur Harbour (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Feature type: Harbour
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
between Bonaparte Point and Norsel Point, Anvers Island, was first entered by Norsel on FIDS charter, 28 February 1955, when the station called "Base N" or "Anvers Island" was established near the head of the harbour; charted by FIDS in 1955 and named after Sir (Oswald) Raynor Arthur (1905-73), Governor and Commander-in-Chief of the Falkland Islands and Dependencies, 1954-57 (APC, 1958, p.4; BA chart 3572, 25.vii.1958). The FIDS station was closed down on 10 January 1958. Bahïa Arthur (Chile. DNH chart 1502, 1962; IHA, 1974, p.33). Arthur Harbor (USOO chart 6945, 1963; USBGN, 1964, p.10). In February 1964 a party from USCGC Eastwind erected a temporary hut on the E side of the harbour, and later in the year "Palmer Station" was built and inaugurated on 12 January 1965, with the British station converted to the biological laboratory of this station (BA chart 3213, 10.viii.1973). Anvers-Ayland , referring to British station (Soviet Union. AA, 1966, Pl. 24). "Palmer", referring to US station (Soviet Union. AA, 1966, Pl. 24; BAS sheet Misc. 2, 1981). The former British station was destroyed by fire, 28 December 1971.
No images of this place could be found.