Emerald Cove (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Emerald Cove (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail email@example.com
Feature type: Cove
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
between Brimstone Peak and North Foreland, King George Island, was roughly charted by William Smith, 16 October 1819. The name Shireff's [sic] Cove or Shireff's [sic] Cove was applied by Smith either to the present feature (Miers, 1820a, p.371-73, map Fig. 2, Pl. 12 and Pl. 13) or to Shirreff Cove (q.v.), Livingston Island (Powell, chart, 1822a), after Capt. (later Rear-Adm.) W.H. Shirreff, RN (Cape Shirreff, q.v.). Shireffs-Bai (Miers, 1820b, p.117). Shirreffs Cove (Foster, chart, 1820). Anse Shireff, Baie Schireff [sic] (Miers, 1821, map p.4 and p.13). The application of Shirreff's name to the feature on Livingston Island became established on subsequent maps and charts. The present feature was recharted by DI in 1935 and in 1937, when the E part of the cove was used as an anchorage by Discovery II (Hill, 1937). Following air photography by FIDASE in 1956 and in association with the names of nineteenth-century sealers in this area, the cove was renamed Emerald Cove after the brig Emerald (Capt. John G. Scott) from Boston, Mass., which visited the South Shetland Islands in 1820-21, in company with Esther; these two ships rescued the crew of Venus from Esther Harbour (q.v.) in March 1821 (APC, 1960, p.4; DOS 610 sheet W 62 56, 1968). Caleta Esmeralda (Covacevich C. and Lamperein R., 1970, map p.60).
No images of this place could be found.