Emerald Cove (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Emerald Cove (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Feature type: Cove (3)
This name originates from United States of America. It is part of the United States Gazetteer and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
Cove 2 mi wide, lying between North Foreland and Brimstone Peak on the N coast of King George Island, in the South Shetland Islands. The name Shireff's Cove (sic) was given by William Smith in 1819, after Capt. William H. Shirreff, RN, to whom he reported his discovery of the South Shetland Islands. In 1820, Smith's description of his landing on North Foreland was confused with his description of features on northern Livingston Island, and the name was applied to a feature on that island, where it has been officially accepted. Emerald Cove was applied by the UK-APC in 1960 and is for the brig Emerald (Capt. John G. Scott) from Boston, MA, which visited the South Shetland Islands in 1820-21 in company with the Esther. These two vessels rescued the crew of the Venus from Esther Harbor in March 1821.
No images of this place could be found.