Richards Cove (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Richards Cove (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Feature type: Cove
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
E of Essex Point, Byers Peninsula, Livingston Island, was known to nineteenth-century sealers and the name Richards Island was applied to the island NE of the cove (earlier named Window Island, q.v.), after Capt. John Richards, of the sealing ship George from Liverpool, who visited the South Shetland Islands, 1820-21, operating chiefly from Rugged Island (Weddell, 1825a, map facing p.132). Following air photography by FIDASE, 1956-57, and ground survey by FIDS, 1958-59, the name of Richards was transferred to the cove where a colony of fur seals was found in February 1958 (APC, 1959a, p.10; DOS 610 sheet W 62 60, 1968).
No images of this place could be found.