Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR)
Collated by Programma Nazionale di Ricerche in Antartide (Italy)
in the framework of the SCAR Standing Committee on Antarctic Geographic Information (SCAGI)
Byers Peninsula (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Byers Peninsula (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Feature type: Peninsula
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
W end of Livingston Island, was visited by nineteenth-century sealers as shown by at least one stone hut on the peninsula; photographed from the air by FIDASE in 1956-57 and surveyed from the ground by FIDS in 1957-58; named after James Byers, a New York shipowner, who tried unsuccessfully in August 1820 to induce the US Government to found a settlement in and take possession of the South Shetland Islands (American Historical Review, Vol. 16, No. 4, 1911, p.794-98) (incorrect bibliographical ref.) and who sent out a fleet of American sealers (Jane Maria, Aurora, Charity, Henry and Sarah) to the islands in 1820-21 to be based first at Rugged Island and later in Yankee Harbour, Greenwich Island (APC, 1959a, p.5; BA chart 3205, 23.xi.1962). In 1967 the peninsula was designated SPA No. 10 under the Antarctic Treaty (FO, 1967, p.6-7). Penïnsula Byers (González-Ferrán and others, 1970, map p.44; (Argentina. AA, 1991, p. 9). The peninsula was redesignated SSSI No.6 under the Antarctic Treaty in 1975 (SPRI, 1986, p.227).
No images of this place could be found.