Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR)
Collated by Programma Nazionale di Ricerche in Antartide (Italy)
in the framework of the SCAR Standing Committee on Antarctic Geographic Information (SCAGI)
Coughtrey Peninsula (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Coughtrey Peninsula (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail email@example.com
Feature type: Peninsula
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
E side of Paradise Harbour (q.v.), Danco Coast, was mapped as an island by Ferguson in 1913-14 and named Coughtrey Island (Ferguson, 1918b; 1921, map p.46 and p.48; [incorrectly described as near N entrance of Paradise Harbour] USHO, 1943, p.125). AAE, 1949-50, charted the feature as a peninsula and erected a refuge hut. AAE, 1950-51, established a station at this site, 6 April 1951, and called it "Destacamento Naval Almirante Brown" after Almirante Guillermo Brown (1777-1857), Argentine patriot of Irish birth who became the first Admiral in command of the Argentine Navy (Thomas, 1954, p.161; Pierrou, 1970, p.159). The station was partly destroyed by fire in 1951 but rebuilt in January 1952. Isla Coughtrey (Cordini, 1955, p.14). Península Sanavirón, after the hydrographic survey ship Sanavirón, which operated in the Antarctic for several seasons (Argentina. MM, 1956, p.80; Pierrou, 1970, p.646). "Almirante Brown" (Argentina. MM, 1957a, p.126; BAS 250 sheet SQ 19-20/4, 1-DOS 1974). "Base Almirante Brown" (Argentina. MM, 1957a, p.109). The station was evacuated in 1959-60, and subsequently used only as a summer station until 1964-65, when it was re-occupied as a permanent scientific station. Coughtrey Peninsula (APC, 1960, p.3; BA, 1965, p.18; BAS 250 sheet SQ 19-20/4, 1-DOS 1974). "Al'mirante-Brown" (Soviet Union. AA, 1966, Pl. 24). "Almirante Brown Station" (BA, 1967, p.20). "Station Almirante Brown" (BA, 1974, p.187). The Argentine station was destroyed by fire, 12 April 1984.
No images of this place could be found.