Robertson Island (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Robertson Island (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Feature type: Island
This name originates from United Kingdom. It is part of the Gazetteer of the British Antarctic Territory and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
Names that other countries have for this feature:
E of Seal Nunataks, Nordenskjöld Coast, bounded by Larsen Ice Shelf except on the E coast, which breaks the ice front, was roughly charted by Larsen, 9 December 1893, and named Robertson Ö or Robertsons Ö after William Robertson, Scottish shipowner of the firm of Woltereck and Robertson, Hamburg, main shareholders in the Norwegian whaling and sealing company A/S Oceana, and sponsors for the voyages of Larsen's ship Jason, 1892-93 and 1893-94, and of Castor and Hertha, 1893-94 (Larsen, 1894a, map p.120 and p.125-26). Robertson Island (RSGS, 1894, p.491; Bruce, 1896, map p.509; BA chart 1238, iii. 1901; APC, 1955, p.18; DOS sheet W 65 58, 1961). Robertson Insel (Friederichsen, 1895, Tafel 7 facing p.304). Dirk Gerritz Archipelago (Gherritz Land, q.v.), referring collectively to this island, Lindenberg Island and Seal Nunataks (Bartholomew, map, 1898a). The present feature and Christensen Nunatak (q.v.) were surveyed by SwAE in October 1902, and mapped as a single island. IÎle Robertson (Lecointe, 1903, Carte 4). The following names (unless otherwise indicated) refer to the island as including Christensen Nunatak. Robertsons Ön, Isla de Robertson (Nordenskjöld and others, 1904a, Del. 1, end map; 1904-05, Tomo 1, end map). Robertson Eiland (Manen, 1905, Kaart 9 following p.710). Robertson-Ön (Palander, 1914, map p.16). Robertsson [sic] -Insel (Bµckström, 1915, p.159). Robertson-Öya (Risting, 1929, map p.33). Isla Robertson (Argentina. MM chart 65, 1940; [referring to the present feature only] Chile. IHA, 1974, p.244). Robertsons Øy (Aagaard, 1944, p.32). Robertsons Ö (Andersson, 1944, map p.155). Isla Cuatro Hermános [=four brothers island] (Orrego Vicuña, 1948, p.202 and end map). The N part of the island was resurveyed by FIDS from "Hope Bay" in August 1947, when it was concluded that Christensen Nunatak was part of the island. Robertson Island Group, Robertson Islands, including Lindenberg Island and Seal Nunataks (USHO, 1943, p.268; 1947, p.19). Robertson Saari (Anderson, 1948, map p.329). Ostrov Robertson (Soviet Union. BSE, 1950, map following p.484). Following further survey by FIDS from "Hope Bay" in 1953 and 1955, this island and Christensen Nunatak were correctly mapped as two separate islands, as originally indicated by Larsen. The Argentine refuge hut "San Roque" was established by Argentine Army personnel from "Esperanza" at the SE end of the island near Cape Marsh, 21 November 1956 (Thomas, 1957a, p.525). The following names do not include Christensen Nunatak as part of the island. Robertson (Anderson, 1957, p.184). Ostrov Robertsonv (Bartl, 1958, map facing p.144). Robertson Øy (Soviet Union. GUGK map 221, 1973).
No images of this place could be found.