Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR)
Collated by Programma Nazionale di Ricerche in Antartide (Italy)
in the framework of the SCAR Standing Committee on Antarctic Geographic Information (SCAGI)
Gerritsz Bay (The name as it would appear in a gazetteer)
Gerritsz Bay (The name as it would appear on a map)
If this information is incorrect, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Feature type: Bay (3)
This name originates from Bulgaria. It is part of the Bulgaria Gazetteer and the SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica.
The 4 km wide bay indenting for 2.15 km the N coast of Anvers Island in the Palmer Archipelago. Entered E of Oberbauer Point and W of the NW extremity of the small peninsula forming Cape Grönland. British mapping in 1980. So named in order to preserve the historical memory of the area. Having navigated the Strait of Magellan in 1599, the Dutch mariner Dirck Gerritsz Pomp (1544-1608) was blown to the south and reportedly sighted an extensive, ice-covered mountainous land. Although Gerritsz was unlikely to have reached 60° south latitude, some later publications used the name Gerritsz Archipelago for the Palmer Archipelago or Gerritsz Islands for the South Shetlands.
No images of this place could be found.